Long Term Visas

To enter Japan for activities other than those described under the category Temporary Visitor Visa, a suitable visa should be obtained.

Please note that there are a number of different categories of visas, and each category has limitations when it comes to the kind of activities that you are allowed to engage in. Therefore, it is very important that you know what kind of activities you intend to engage in when applying for a visa. In order to obtain a long term visa, you must already have found an employer, school etc. that is willing to sponsor you. You need a Certificate of Eligibility to apply for most of the visa categories, and a Certificate of Eligibility cannot be issued without a sponsor.

A visa application with a Certificate of Eligibility takes less time to process than an application without it.

Depending on the visa category, it is sometimes possible to apply for a long-term visa without a certificate. To confirm if this applies to you, read the information below or consult with the visa section directly.

However, depending on the circumstances, the application documents may have to be forwarded to a regional immigration authority in Japan for screening. In such cases, applicants are advised that it may take a couple of months for their applications to be processed.

Please be informed that the Embassy of Japan does not handle questions regarding extending your stay. We refer you to the Immigration Bureau of Japan.

Further information about different long term visa categories